Salem College is experiencing a period of exceptional energy and growth. Three years of steadily increasing student enrollments resulted in a wonderful problem for the College: where to house not only the record number of residential students who had arrived on campus for the 2014–15 academic year, but also the generations of young women of purpose who will study at Salem in the future.
We broke ground in December 2014 for a new College residence, the first new student housing construction in fifty years. The 32,000-square-foot, apartment-style building provides housing for almost ninety students. Located on the north end of the campus, the new residence connects Salem to the vibrant life of the downtown Winston-Salem. Its careful aesthetic planning honors our historic Moravian tradition and also provides the modern amenities that present day students expect.
The estimated cost of the new College residence is $6 million, and the initiative to support its construction has inspired extraordinary acts of generosity. An anonymous donor provided the gift that will name the residence the McHugh Sisters Flats, in honor of a third party. A gift from alumna Becky Hewit Rauenhorst C’74 has named the building’s great room. Members of the Class of 1980 joined together to pledge $35,000 to name one of the building’s porches.
We invite all alumnae and friends of Salem to sustain this momentum by considering contributing to naming opportunities of various sizes and levels that will help to complete the funding of this beautiful new residence.
In the News
- New dorm creates excitement among returning Salem students Winston-Salem Journal
- New buildings, construction await returning college students Winston-Salem Journal
- Salem College to dedicate new dorm, first in 50 years Greensboro News & Record
- Salem Academy and College begins work on first new on-campus dorm since 1965 Winston-Salem Journal
- Oldest Women's College in the Country Expands Time Warner Cable News Carolina
- Salem College announces residential expansion Salem College News